Meyer Lemon Loaf
vegan / gluten-free
- 2 Tbsp Bob’s Red Mill Egg Replacer
- 4 Tbsp water
- 1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 2 tsp fresh Meyer lemon zest
- 1 ½ cup all-purpose gluten-free flour
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- ½ cup organic cane sugar
- 1 ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ cup unsweetened almond milk
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 2-3 Tbsp fresh-squeezed Meyer lemon juice
- ½ cup melted soy-free vegan butter (stick works best)
Lemon Glaze Ingredients
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 ½ Tbsp fresh-squeezed Meyer lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 350 °F. Lightly grease a loaf pan with vegan butter.
- Whisk together egg replacer and water until fully combined and set aside for 3 minutes. Mixture will thicken to an egg-like consistency as it sits. Once thick, add applesauce to “egg” mixture.
- In a large mixing bowl, add all dry ingredients.
- Zest Meyer lemons over bowl of dry ingredients. (Only zest the outer yellow skin part NOT the white)
- Lightly mix together dry ingredients and lemon zest.
- Squeeze Meyer lemon juice into a measuring cup, making sure to remove any seeds. (A manual citrus juicer works best for this step)
- Add all remaining wet ingredients to “egg” mixture. Whisk together until fully combined.
- Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients.
- Stir until fully combined but do not over-mix.
- Pour batter into greased loaf pan.
- Bake for 40 minutes until fully cooked through. (Test doneness by sticking toothpick or fork into center; it should come out clean when done)
- Remove from oven and let cool fully before icing.
Lemon Glaze Icing:
- Add powdered sugar and lemon juice to small bowl.
- Whisk together until smooth and creamy. (add more powdered sugar to desired consistency)
- Spread over cake and allow to set for a few minutes before cutting.
- Serve and enjoy!